Have You Ever Asked Yourself – “What Do I Eat On The Breakfast on The Keto Diet”?
If you have, don’t worry about it. I’ve got you covered ;).
Keto has really taken over recently, growing exponentially in popularity because of one sole reason – because it actually works. But it’s not the easiest diet to pick up, especially since, for a LOT of people, in involves avoiding foods you’ve been eating your WHOLE life. Carbs are in almost every food that has become a staple in the American diet, as most women and men who picked up the diet know.
So I wanted to see if I could tackle a series to help ease people into the diet, beginning with the first meal of the day (unless you happen to be doing Intermittent Fasting alongside your keto diet).
And FYI – Some of these come directly from a few of the keto cookbooks I’ve recommended to my readers on the site before. If you’re strapped for ideas, or ESPECIALLY if you’re new to keto, you’re going to want to check out some of those meal plans. They make it SOOOO much easier to get on and stick to the keto diet.
Anyway, onwards to the meat of the article…
My Favorite Keto Breakfast Ideas & Recipes
1. Bacon and Eggs – Classic for a REASON
Keep it simple, silly.
There’s not much to say about this keto staple, but I’ll say that it’s a classic for a reason. It’s delicious, filling, and tasty as long as you’re not afraid of a little salt and pepper.
Whether you like to scramble the eggs or fry them, you’ll find that this meal can be extremely filling to someone new to the keto diet, although you may have to increase your serving portion of bacon and/or eggs.
By the way – I’ve been asked by eggs by a few of you, and I think some of you have some misconceptions about their carb count or their cholesterol.
Eggs have less than ONE carb per (0.6g to be exact) AND you can have a LOT of eggs in one day on the keto diet if you want. I’ve even heard you can have as many as 36 eggs in one day on keto if you want!
But uh… gross.
2. Low Carb Keto Everything Bagel – Great for On The Go
These are a GREAT substitute and great introduction to how clever and creative keto recipes could be. Did you really expect to see bagels on a list of keto breakfast foods? But with a simple almond flour based recipe, you’ll never need to turn to a regular starchy bagel again. Great for when you need to hurry out the house and need to have breakfast on the go.
Recipe (via PeaceLoveandLowCarb)
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 3 cups shredded low moisture mozzarella cheese
- 5 tablespoons cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried Italian seasoning. Mix until well combined. I like to put the mixture through a flour sifter to ensure that all the baking powder gets mixed in with the rest of the ingredients.
- Crack one of the eggs into a small bowl and fork whisk. This will be the egg wash for the top of the bagels. The other two eggs will go in the dough.
- In a large microwave safe mixing bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese. Microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir to combine. Return to microwave for 1 additional minute. Mix until well combined.
- To the mixing bowl, add the remaining 2 eggs and the almond flour mixture. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated. If the dough gets too stringy and unworkable, simply put it back in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften and continue mixing.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball.
- Gently press your finger into the center of each dough ball to form a ring. Stretch the ring to make a small hole in the center and form it into a bagel shape.
- Brush the top of each bagel with the egg wash.
- Top each bagel with Everything Bagel Seasoning.
- Bake on the middle rack for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Keto Breakfast Sandwich
Bagels AND Sandwiches? What is going on?
The magic of keto!
You can actually get really creative with what you put in the sandwich, as long as it’s low/no carb (I stick with bacon and eggs here).
Recipe (From HealthyRecipes)
For the bread:
- 1tablespoon salted butter
- 1large egg
- 1tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/4teaspoon baking powder
For the sandwich:
- Olive oil spray
- 1 large egg
- 1 sliced cheese
- 1 slice deli ham
- Make the bread: place a tablespoon of butter in a microwave safe cereal bowl (bottom should measure about 3 inches). Microwave until melted, about 30 seconds. Allow to slightly cool. Using a fork, mix in one egg, 1 tablespoon coconut flour and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder. Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Allow to slightly cool, then carefully slice into two slices.
- Cook the egg and toast the bread: Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with olive oil spray. Break one egg into the skillet (use a greased round egg mold if you want a round shape). Cook on both sides until done to your liking. Add the two slices of bread as well, lightly browning them on each side.
- Assemble the breakfast sandwich: Place one slice of bread on a plate. Top with a slice of cheese, a slice of ham, and the fried egg. Place the second slice of bread on top. Serve immediately.
So there you go! Three great and delicious ideas for a keto breakfast. If you want more, I suggest just looking up ideas for your favorite protein – or looking up some keto-friendly new ones – or maybe even signing up for a meal plan to really eliminate the guesswork. I hope this provided you with a taste (mmmm) of how creative you can get with staying on keto. Enjoy!